Fearless Apron Ingredient: Mesquite Bacon
Riffing off the classic BLT, Melissa Clark of the New York Times creates the BLT Taco! Imagine the flavors of the BLT shining though without the distraction of bread. A warm toasted tortilla, tomatoes jazzed up into a salsa, and a spicy Chipotle-zinged mayonnaise brings the BLT to a new dimension. Now add our Thick-Cut Mesquite Bacon to these Mexican flavors and you get an American classic sandwich through the lens of their southern neighbor. An inspired update! We loved the spicy salsa with the smoky bacon, the sweet lettuce from Pinkies Farm and the creamy mayo. So easy to do, and loaded with fresh vegetables!
1 pound Mesquite Bacon
1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
1 small jalapeño, seeded or not, finely chopped (optional)
2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
1.5 teaspoons fresh lime juice, plus more to taste
Kosher salt, to taste
Half cup mayonnaise
1.5 teaspoons hot sauce
8 (6-inch) corn or flour tortillas
Romaine lettuce leaves, torn into bite-size pieces
1 avocado, sliced (optional)
- Cook the bacon (Melissa roasts it in the oven, but we just fried ours).
- Toss together tomatoes, jalapeño, cilantro, lime juice and a large pinch of salt in a medium bowl. Taste and add more lime juice and salt, if needed.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise and hot sauce.
- Warm and lightly char tortillas by heating them in a skillet (no oil), 30 seconds to 1 minute per side. Transfer warmed tortillas to a towel-lined bowl, and cover with towel to keep warm while you finish remaining tortillas.
- Serve, letting people make their own tacos by layering bacon, salsa, lettuce, spicy mayonnaise and avocado, if using, on tortillas. Top with more hot sauce, if desired.